The Iranian Foreign Ministry on Saturday described the declaration of normalization between Sudan and Israel, which was achieved via US mediation, as "phoney" and accused Khartoum of actually paying ransom to the US so that the US would remove Sudan from the list of countries that support terror.
A post in English on the official Twitter page of the Iranian Foreign Ministry said, "Pay enough ransom, close your eyes to the crimes against Palestinians, then you'll be taken off the so-called ‘terrorism' blacklist. Obviously, the list is as phoney as the U.S. fight against terrorism. Shameful."
At the beginning of last week, US President Donald Trump announced that Sudan would be removed from the list of terror-supporting countries after agreements were reached on compensation of victims of the Al-Qaeda terrorist attacks in Kenya and Tanzania, and Sudan committed itself to deposit $335 million as compensation funds. Reuters reports that the funds have already been transferred into a special escrow account. During the deliberations, the prime minister of Sudan and other senior officials opposed the inclusion of Israel in the framework of the removal from the American list, and the deliberations were suspended for some time.
The official announcement on the normalization of relations and the ending of the state of belligerence with Sudan - whose capital was where in 1967 the Arab League swore no peace with Israel, no recognition of Israel, and no negotiations with Israel - came during Trump's telephone call with Netanyahu and the prime minister of Sudan's transitional government, Abdalla Hamdok, Friday evening.
During the conversation, it was said that "at least five more" countries will establish relations with Israel in the near future. The leaders of Israel and Sudan agreed to establish trade and economic ties, with a focus on the agricultural field, and announced that delegations from the two countries will meet in the coming weeks.
The Palestinians "are wanting to do something," Trump said during the conversation, but the Palestinian Authority denounced the agreement, calling it "another stab in the back of the Palestinians." A statement issued by the office of Abu Mazen said "No one has the right to speak on behalf of the Palestinian people." A statement issued by Hamas said it "denounces and expresses outrage and disgust over the shameful and humiliating normalization, that does not suit Sudan." Bahrain, the UAE and Egypt welcomed the agreement.