Israeli fighter jets struck Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip late Tuesday night and early Wednesday in response to a rocket attack from the coastal enclave earlier in the evening.
According to the military, two rockets were launched at Israel Tuesday evening, one of which was intercepted by the Iron Dome air defense system.
There were no reports of damage or casualties, apart from a woman who was injured rushing to a shelter in the southern Israeli city of Sderot.
“The strikes were carried out in response to the rockets that were fired from the Strip toward Israel. The Hamas terror group is responsible for all violence emanating from the Strip,” the IDF said.
Overnight Tuesday, the IAF attacked a number of Hamas terror targets in the southern Gaza Strip, including a weapons manufacturing site. Before dawn Wednesday, the IDF said it carried out a second wave of strikes, targeting an underground facility in northern Gaza.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu later Tuesday evening commented on the rocket fire. “If anyone in Gaza thinks they can raise their head after operation’ Black Belt’ - they’re making a serious mistake.”
Defense Minister Naftali Bennett on Wednesday warned that Israeli forces would respond to rocket fire regardless of whether it hits a target or not. “A rocket that doesn’t hit will be judged in the same way as one that does,” Bennett wrote on Twitter. “Those that fire – will suffer blows.”
On Monday, the IDF detected a rocket launch from Gaza, but the projectile landed in an open area outside the Eshkol Regional Council. The launch did not set off alarms in nearby border communities.