“We are continuing to hit Islamic Jihad after eliminating its senior commander in the Strip,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told a special cabinet meeting on Wednesday morning, referring to the targeted killing of Baha Abu al-Ata early Tuesday, which sparked the latest flare-up.
“He was responsible for most of the terror attacks emanating from the Gaza Strip in the last year and he was planning to carry out more attacks in the next few days,” Netanyahu added.
“It would be better for Islamic Jihad to understand that now,” the prime minister warned. “I believe the message is starting to get across. They understand we will continue to strike them with no mercy. We are determined to fight and protect ourselves. If they thought the barrages or hits would weaken us, they are wrong. They have one choice – either stop these attacks or suffer more and more blows. It’s their choice.”
Earlier Wednesday, Naftali Bennett issued his first statement since becoming defense minister in Netanyahu’s caretaker government.
“Yesterday morning, the IDF and security forces took vital action necessary for Israel’s security. Baha Abu al-Ata was a terrorist architect of Islamic Jihad who worked to terrorize Israeli citizens. He was eliminated. We did it yesterday, and will not hesitate to act in the future.
“This morning we send a clear message to all our enemies, wherever they may be: Whoever plans to hurt us during the day can never be sure that he will make it through the night,” said Bennett.
[Source: The Times of Israel]