ST Engineering to Invest $20M in Joint Venture with SatixFy

ST Electronics and SatixFy UK will establish a joint venture company to develop a satellite antenna system that delivers enhanced in-flight connectivity (IFC) for commercial aviation. The announcement was made during the Singapore Airshow

From the announcement ceremony (Photo: Amir Rapaport)

ST Electronics, the electronics arms of Singapore Technologies Engineering (ST Engineering), has signed an agreement with SatixFy UK, a subsidiary of the Israeli-based SatixFy Ltd., to invest in a joint venture company (JVCo). ST Electronics' planned investment of $20m is for a 49% stake in the JVCo, with the remaining 51% to be held by SatixFy UK.

The JVCo is part of ST Electronics’ strategy to enhance its global access to the emerging high growth commercial aviation connectivity market. It will develop a satellite antenna system that delivers enhanced in-flight connectivity (IFC) for commercial aviation. The agreement between the two companies was mitigated by Sharly Ben Chetrit, former Executive VP Marketing at IAI.

The concept, which was showcased at the Smart City Cluster of the ST Engineering booth at Singapore Airshow 2018 held at the Changi Exhibition Centre, utilizes Digital Beam Forming technology based on SatixFy's unique chip technology. This technology will enable seamless and simultaneous communications with multiple satellites, at higher performance, lower SWAP (Size, Weight and Power) and significantly lower cost than existing solutions. In addition to providing enhanced broadband connectivity experience for in-flight passengers, the technology will improve operational efficiencies of commercial and business airline operators.   

"SatixFy UK is excited to be a partner with ST Electronics to bring together our respective strengths in satellite solutions and Aerospace to provide what we believe will be a truly unique In-Flight Connectivity (IFC) offering to the Aviation industry. The satellite industry is undergoing significant changes with the launch of various LEO or Medium Earth Orbit (MEO) constellations and Ultra High Throughput Satellites (U-HTS). Our solution will provide customers with a solution that is future proof and can leverage the best available satellite infrastructure now and in the future," said Yoel Gat, CEO of SatixFy Ltd.

The announcement was made during a special ceremony at the Singapore Airshow, attended by executives of both companies, Yoel Gat and his wife Simona Gat, SatixFy UK's CEO, Brig. Gen. (res.) Dr. Daniel Gold, Head of the Directorate of Defense R&D (DDR&D) at the Israeli Ministry of Defense (IMOD), and Sharly Ben Chetrit.